4AFE RWD tranny

xtianthrow

Hello, my name is Chris and I live in the Philippines. Over here, we have what we call owner type jeeps (OTJ) - jeep replicas with stainless steel bodies, and basically a hodgepodge of random parts - from engine, to wheel hubs, etc. I own one with a 4k-u engine and k40 tranny. I am thinking of building a new one, and what I have in mind is 4AFE - as these came on the top-spec E100 corollas locally, so parts would be plentiful.

My question is, would a T50 tranny mate with a 4AFE engine? How friendly are these engines to tuning, can I expect a modern laptop to interface with the ecu easily?

Going for 4AGE is not an option, because it is hard to find, and relatively expensive.

Members dont see this ad

The 4AFE should have the same block so bolt up to the T50, but watch out for the water connections jamming against the firewall.

The ECU I'd expect to be non-tunable. Arduino are making some very cheap tuning computers now, Banjo showed me one a day ago. I've got an older Haltech I'm in the middle of wiring right now to replace the 4AGE ECU.

I would agree about the Takumi Tax on the 4AGE, the 4AFE will do what you need in a jeep, and if not put a supercharger on it!

I see the inlet plenum is quite a different shape to the FWD smallport 4AGEs, they are more a symmetrical 'log' so the throttle body gets cut off the back and welded on the front. Is it worth modifying that manifold to put the TB on the front?

The distributor is worse, they are on the front side of a 4AGE so the only thing on the back is the water junction for heater & bypass. The solution for that rear dizzy is to move to COPs and not have a  dizzy, like the 20valve, but that's far more complex.

Banjo is working on it- A distributorless 4K with a trigger wheel on the crank, you could chat to him about it. An Arduino ECU controlling the spark and coil-over-plugs setup, and the big advantage you have is that the ECU in the 4AFE already reads the trigger wheels, so you just need to relay that to a piggyback computer and get rid of the dizzy cap and all plug leads. You'd still need the distributor base for the trigger wheels.

Ah- JohnDee is always a very clever man..

beltdizzy.jpg.fcdc2b79534c22036aebad24e1ec843b.jpg

Its been done quite a bit, you can make it very simple if you fire more than one COP at a time, but you'll need more electronics experience than me!