Ke55 Brakes

shauns ke30

hay all

i just put a 5k in my ke30 rolla acouple of months ago

and i want to upgrage my brakes.

i have ra60 strutes and calipers and i was going to put them on

but I'm not now because of camber issues.

i want to put ke55 brakes on but i need to no somethings????

can i just bolt the ke55 disks and calipers to my ke30 strutes????

or do i have to change the hole lot to ke55 calipers/strutes and disks????

cheers shaun

Members dont see this ad
i have ra60 strutes and calipers and i was going to put them on

but I'm not now because of camber issues.

What kind of camber issues ? Positive or negative ? Might have to try different length lower control arms.

i want to put ke55 brakes on but i need to no somethings????

Don't quote me, but i don't think they'll fit the '60 struts

can i just bolt the ke55 disks and calipers to my ke30 strutes????

Both the same. But the later '55 has better calipers.

Ke70 is the same as well. The only really difference between the '55/'30 and '70 is the springs are skinners on the '70, their one sided only (left side will only fit the left side. Unlike the '55/'30) and the top hats are different.

or do i have to change the hole lot to ke55 calipers/strutes and disks????

If your running ra60 struts. I'd keep them cause of the bigger and better brakes

There is a thread or two on using the ra60 struts

The backing plates on the strut that hold the caliper have different stud patterns on KE55 and 70 while KE30 20 and 10 are the same shape BUT KE20 and 10 used smaller bolts if that makes sense.

To run KE55 girlocks on a KE30 you need ke30 backing plates and the ke55 caliper and disc.

As ke55 and onwards the backing plates had 3 studs kinda even the 1 was off set a heap. So can't run KE55/70 backing plates unless you redrill them.

Cheers

Cameron

The backing plates on the strut that hold the caliper have different stud patterns on KE55 and 70 while KE30 20 and 10 are the same shape BUT KE20 and 10 used smaller bolts if that makes sense.

To run KE55 girlocks on a KE30 you need ke30 backing plates and the ke55 caliper and disc.

As ke55 and onwards the backing plates had 3 studs kinda even the 1 was off set a heap. So can't run KE55/70 backing plates unless you redrill them.

Cheers

Cameron

I think you're going to confuse the poor boy and there is a little mis-information here also.

KE30 and KE55 calipers are interchangable. So remove sumitomo caliper and directly bolt on the Girlock.

Disc diametre and offset is the same.

Brake lines are slightly different though, so you have to swap them too. '55 has the flair in the end of the brake line, '30 has the flair in the caliper.

You don't need to swap the backing plates.

Towe001 - He's not looking at fitting '55 brakes to a RA60 strut like I think you thought he was. :) I'd also agree the RA60 strut/brakes would be a better option than '55 brakes. What are the issues preventing you from fitting these?

It has mad positive camber with the ra60 strutes????

I just found out that i need 14in stocks on the ke30 coz

13in stockies will not fit over the ra60 brakes.

But don't have the money to buy 14in stock with good tred!!!

If i fit ke55 strutes/disks and calipers can i still keep my 13in stocks????

or do i also need 14in stocks.

thanks.

cheers shaun

The leading pair of bolt holes on the backing plate are the same but the trailing pair are different locations. Top one is about 10mm higher, bottom one is a few mill lower. As seen from where the caliper is

Towe001 - He's not looking at fitting '55 brakes to a RA60 strut like I think you thought he was. :)

yeah, hehe

also Towe youll find the KE70 Struts are shorter then KE30/55 ones..

About an inch and half shorter for the '70. But the springs are longer on the '70

Forgot that one.

It has mad positive camber with the ra60 strutes????

Try some longer arms. Sigma ? You sure the rods on the shocks aren't bent

Yes

Edit - just cleaned up my comment a little. And bit like Taz said below, it'd be a downgrade in brakes going away from the '60 gear. Have a search around the forum there's a thread or two on the ra60 struts

Edited by towe001

or do i also need 14in stocks.

thanks.

cheers shaun

You DON'T need to swap the STRUTS.

Only the calipers and rubber brake lines.

Some NEW discs probably wouldn't go astray either. :y:

Try some longer arms. Sigma ? You sure the rods on the shocks aren't bent

Are you sure the sigma arm's fit?????

the ra60 strutes i have do not fit on the stock ke30 arm's the

bottom of the ra60 strutes do not mach the pattern on the lower arm's on the ke30.

so i have the put ra60 strutes/disk's/calipers and lower arm's to fit in the ke30.

I can't use the original ke30 arm's if i fit ra60's

and they aren't bent!!!

cheers shaun

Calipers have the same mounting positions so swap straight over, with there matching rubber brake lines.

There's 2 different types of discs for ke3x and k5x, which are "local" and "imported". The only difference between them is the local ones are a bit thicker.

Are you sure the sigma arm's fit?????

the ra60 strutes i have do not fit on the stock ke30 arm's the

bottom of the ra60 strutes do not mach the pattern on the lower arm's on the ke30.

so i have the put ra60 strutes/disk's/calipers and lower arm's to fit in the ke30.

I can't use the original ke30 arm's if i fit ra60's

and they aren't bent!!!

cheers shaun

You can put a RA60 strut on a KE30 LCA.

You take the Steering arm off the KE30 LCA, and put the RA60 steering arm on the LCA.

From what played with lately. all the balljoints are same diamter shaft between corollas, corona and celicas of the same era