5k Questions

shauns ke30

Members dont see this ad
But Eleci dizzy put on go forget kinda...GT40R coils blow them up you MUST have a non resistor coil Coils with resistors run lower voltage the dizzy powers off this the 2 little wires you connect. They then run at a lower power and die seen many a dead one. So if you put a eleci dizzy in change the coil to non resistor type.

You don't have to run the distributor low-tension wires from the coil, it can be any ignition-switched 12V supply (ie before the coil). When I put the 4KEU electronic dizzy on my KE55 it ran fine with a resistor coil (mind you it was an Echlin, not a GT40R), and I ran the low-tension leads from before the ballast resistor. The resistor is there to drop the voltage for the coil, not the distributor.

Actually that rings a bell - I have had issues with my water pump. I got a brand new one for free, but neither my 3k or my 5k pulleys fit correctly. They both have differing PCD's from the pump and the centre hole on the 3K one was too small for the pulley boss.

Hi,

Your water pump above might be assembled wrong..

I say this as I got a Toyota book shows how to reco a pump and the front boss is removable and in different models is pushed on further etc to get belts aligned.

So possibly some one did this and put the boss on backwards so it is huge at the front. But highly unlikely.

But A KE1X water pump is REALLY short and stubby. So compare it to others if the shaft is shorter than them it is KE1X. Also I have 2 KE1X pullies here 1 has a big hole like that one other has a noraml small hole and I belive there are 2 part numbers for KE1X pumps so you most likely have a KE1X pump.

Also metal fan I got one and it will fit a small shaft pump or the large I tried it. But if you want run a thermo and then you don't need to worry about finding a fan.

Cheers

Cameron

P.S. found this pic quickly.

KE1X water pump on my 5K has a small shaft. KE15 isnt at my place atm so can't go get a better newer pic but here goes.

post-1811-1231416986_thumb.jpg

It could be on backwards, thats an interesting point. That would change the offset of the pulley though so I don't think that's the case.

Wasn't going to run a thermo, had a nice plastic blade fan and just scored a shrouded KE20 rad that I was going to fit in. Might be time to whack in a thermo....

Just tuck a thermo into the '20 fan shroud. :P

You can actually sometimes feel the increase in power (from reduction of mechanical load) from removing an engine fan and fitting a thermo. I know I did in my mazda anyway.

When the thermo switches on there is then more electrical load on the alternator, but thats pretty much only in town when you can't use much power anyway.