5k Questions

shauns ke30

Hay guy's just a couple question's

i have a 5k its in my KE36 wagon that iam scrappen soon

I'm keeping the 5k motor and ke55 5 speed box. And i just

want to no what kind of problems i will come across when

i put the 5k and the ke55 5 speed in my 1978 ke30 ;)

cheers shaun

any info would be great thanks

Edited by shauns ke30

Members dont see this ad

if both are manual, the only problem you might encounter will be electrical. alternator plug (2 or 3 pin), distributor (elec or points), reverse lights plug (different shaped plugs).

i encountered those three when swapping from a 3k with 4spd to a 5k with 5 spd.

Trav, theres no problems running a 5K on a points dizzy....mines been running on a 3K points dizzy for quite some time (mainly cause the dizzy has the weights locked in it). I think the lekky dizzy's (if it actually has one) are overrated anyway.

Plus it would be easier to rip the gearbox out attached to the engine.....they can be a pain in the arse to get lined up again while putting the engine back in. With the alternators, you may find that the 3K one has an external regulator....Med man should be able to give you advice on what the best path would be to take.

Edited by Xany

3k had external regulator for alternator. 4k has internal so swap them over. Or there was a write up on converting to internal regulator.

don't matter what dizzy you use, as long as you don't put it in 180 degrees wrong way. I find electric ones are smoother, but if they old and worn, ive found a points one to be better.

yeah pull box and motor out as one, then slide box and 5k back in as one. Electric fuel pump is easy to put in and have found a bit more reliable then a mechanical pump one. leaking gaskets on them, i have one if your interested.

yea ive just had bad experiances with my points dizzy

wouldnt hold high revs

i suggested the old altenator so he wouldnt have to re wire it :S

its a lil bit of stuffin around getting the engine to line up but to me its easier :y:

cheers

All Dizzy's are susceptible to wear..my guess is something was worn inside it. Points dizzys need a little more maintenance however i find them more reliable than the Lekky ones. For example my 3K dizzy has seen more than its share of high rpm without trouble.

With the gearbox, you'd rather take out 6-7 bolts around the bellhousing and mess around with an input shaft than undo the tailshaft, crossmember and gearshifter and have it all out in one hit?

Taking it out is the easy bit - putting it in with the box in place is the hard bit.

Definitely easier to take the lot out. 5 bolts off the crossmember, 4 bolts off the shifter housing and you avoid trying to align the spigot and input splines on in a difficult spot. In KE10s as well the drag link and crossmember are much to close to the front of the box....

I've just got my 3k Auto - 5K 5 Speed swap done in my car. No fitment issues, the Alternator I just swapped and the Dizzy was already an Elec one. (Apart from Point gapping, I still haven't seen any real bonus from the Elec one)

Dizzy are a whole issue to them self..LOL

A points dizzy will bolt on go with the car will need more maintenance yes but very basic very reliable.

But Eleci dizzy put on go forget kinda...GT40R coils blow them up you MUST have a non resistor coil Coils with resistors run lower voltage the dizzy powers off this the 2 little wires you connect. They then run at a lower power and die seen many a dead one. So if you put a eleci dizzy in change the coil to non resistor type.

Also Some eleci dizzy I have had gave more torque down low so I stripped one to find slightly different weights in the dizzy (was out a van) So I presumed the van prob has a different curve in them for more torque down low. So putting an electric dizzy n can also VERY slightly change the out put of the motor.

Dizzy in a K motor can go forever on that topic.

Personally id stick with points buy the Jaycar MSD kit and points wear only ever 6months due to the cam part no the spark wearing it out and then you get up to 6 sparks per fire and it is cheap.

Choice, choices, choices....

FYI. I ran a 5K in a KE30 pulled it out swapped the cam dropped it into my KE15 no issues (well exhaust didnt fit but again KE1X problem and was due to bigger motor in height but I got extractors now to fix this) so you should have NO issues mate.

Cameron