shauns ke30

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hay lads I was at the wreckas to day and I came across a ke30 that had badges on it that said SE?? does any one no the difference between an CS and SE.

Just different interior I believe. I read it around here somewhere, I'll try to dig it up for you.

EDIT:

Trim levels

C - is vinyl seats and a single speaker radio (four speed manual g'box ?)

CS - is vinyl seats, radio, tape deck and two rear parcel shelf speakers (five speed manual g'box ?)

SE - is cloth seats, radio, tape deck and two rear parcel shelf speakers (five speed manual g'box ?)

Not sure if this is correct as my car doesn't match any of these, but it is something like this.

Edited by RedKE30

Personally I wouldn't agree with that.

The SE was the budget model, most likely came with strap door handles, vinyl seats, no demister and no radio.

CS was the more expensive model coming with cloth seats, foam handle door handles, demister and radio.

4 speeds were standard for these models. 5 Speeds were offered at an extra cost but didn't really come out till the XX KE55's. (Update 1980-1981)

And A/C was also an extra, very rarely seen.

I've got many brochures on them. I'll look it up tonight. Do you know what year it was??

Just different interior I believe. I read it around here somewhere, I'll try to dig it up for you.

EDIT:

Not sure if this is correct as my car doesn't match any of these, but it is something like this.

yeah it looks the same as mine as well the only thing that is differnt is it has a factory

5 speed i think.

The SE was the budget model, most likely came with strap door handles, vinyl seats, no demister and no radio.

CS was the more expensive model coming with cloth seats, foam handle door handles, demister and radio.

4 speeds were standard for these models. 5 Speeds were offered at an extra cost but didn't really come out till the XX KE55's. (Update 1980-1981)

I've got many brochures on them. I'll look it up tonight. Do you know what year it was??

I don't no what year it is coz its from the wreckas and all the complince plats on the cars have been

damage?? I think its a 77 but not to sure ill have to have a look at that and maybe get some pic's.

It dosent have strap door handles the seats are clothed/vinyl i think it has a demister and radio but

i carnt realy remember.. there is a car thats down there that has a/c its a white ke55 don't no what year

it is.

Is a/c only rare in ke30 or as well in the ke55??

Yea I didn't really agree with that either as my car matched none of those. From what you say my 30 is a CS, it makes much more sense now. Thanks JiP.

I think A/C is quite rare in 30's, a little more common in the 55's.

Cheers

Sian

Edited by RedKE30

I think, that the early ke30s (pre 77), came in 'L' and 'SE'. The L being the pov pack, eg no radio/demister etc.

The SE (mine is one) came with radio etc.

The late 30s (post 77) came in SE and CS, with the SE being the pov pack eg vinyl seats etc. The CS was the new upper class model, cloth seats!!!!.

Thats my understanding of it anyway...

:)

post-1158-1225961804_thumb.jpg

Okay...

November 1974 brochure says two models to choose from... L = Luxury and SE = Special Equipment.

SE has the radio

May 1975 Brochure says... (4 Door KE30 now available) :)

SE has Radial ply tires, heated rear window, radio and cig lighter.

Modern Motor Magazine August 1976 says that the CS has...

Cassette stereo, band tinted laminated windscreen, tinted rear and side windows and heated rear window demister.

Radial ply tires, wool blend seat insets for models with non metallic body colours and adjustable front bucket seats.

Rear mud flaps, chrome wheel embellishers and personalised Corolla emblem on rear quarter window.

I'd like to see that, I've NEVER seen that.

January 30th 1975 UK brochure doesn't say much but I want...

post-1158-1225963409_thumb.jpg

Enjoy...

Jip I was reading some brochers on some website, other country's rollas are so much different. like the picture you posted with the "electronic tachometer" WOWEE!

My Rolla is a 1978 SE and has vinyl seats, foam handles demister but not sure what radio it had though, i know it had a speaker under the dash.

Everyone come up with different ideas. :)

Doug

These brochures that I have listed are Australian brochures. I only stuck up that UK one for the tacho :)

A theory I have is that they upgraded to the KE55 spec early as my KE30 has KE55 interior door handles. Not sure if anyone has seen but early KE3x foam handles were smaller and bulkier. And KE35's had long, thin foam handles with some fancy stitching on them.

It could just be that they ran out of the 30 bits early and started using the 55 ones, or maybe the KE55 specs started earlier than thought, ie when the dash swap happened in 77. It makes sense cause I've seen a few late KE30's with intrusion bars in the doors too. I think that the late KE30's were slower and heavier thats why they upgraded to KE55's with the 4K's and while other countries, like the USA, didn't need to. (Cause they had the 2T = more power)

These brochures that I have listed are Australian brochures. I only stuck up that UK one for the tacho :)

A theory I have is that they upgraded to the KE55 spec early as my KE30 has KE55 interior door handles. Not sure if anyone has seen but early KE3x foam handles were smaller and bulkier. And KE35's had long, thin foam handles with some fancy stitching on them.

It could just be that they ran out of the 30 bits early and started using the 55 ones, or maybe the KE55 specs started earlier than thought, ie when the dash swap happened in 77. It makes sense cause I've seen a few late KE30's with intrusion bars in the doors too. I think that the late KE30's were slower and heavier thats why they upgraded to KE55's with the 4K's and while other countries, like the USA, didn't need to. (Cause they had the 2T = more power)

Or it could simply be a case of shit breaking and people replacing it with stuff from newer models....

On my Gregorys manual for the KE55, it lists in order of spec: L - SE - CS - XX. It ain't alphabetical, and the CS is definitely better than the SE (and the XX better than both) so it only makes sense that the L is the bottom of the barrel.

SE has traditionally been a povo-spec for Corollas, look at the AE80 and AE92 SE, they had the worse engine (2A and 6A respectively), lower spec etc etc.

Granted items could be swapped over the years but all 4 doors? Plus i'm pretty sure the handle mounting points are closer together on the early 30's as the small bulky handles mounting holes don't match the 55 ones.

And i wouldn't completely trust the Gregory's manual. It says its for the KE55's but its also for the KE30's as their wasn't an earlier one.

Toyota changed their minds a few times. First L was the pov pack and SE was the extras modal. Then they scapped the L, SE became the pov and CS was bought in for the extras. Then again in the early 80's they scapped SE and made CS the pov and bought in XX for the extras. That continued into the KE70's and for the AE71's XX was scapped and replaced with CS-X.

You can say there were all those models but only with two at a time.

Granted items could be swapped over the years but all 4 doors? Plus i'm pretty sure the handle mounting points are closer together on the early 30's as the small bulky handles mounting holes don't match the 55 ones.

Maybe someone wanted extra safety? Or one or two doors had rusted out and they wanted the rest to match, or because the interior door trims go all the way to the top of the door in the late KE55s but not in the 30s...

And i wouldn't completely trust the Gregory's manual. It says its for the KE55's but its also for the KE30's as their wasn't an earlier one.

Toyota changed their minds a few times. First L was the pov pack and SE was the extras modal. Then they scapped the L, SE became the pov and CS was bought in for the extras. Then again in the early 80's they scapped SE and made CS the pov and bought in XX for the extras. That continued into the KE70's and for the AE71's XX was scapped and replaced with CS-X.

You can say there were all those models but only with two at a time.

Yeah, Gregorys manuals aren't always accurate, but at least they tend to cover just one model (as opposed to Ellerys/Haynes etc, which sometimes span up to 10 years and 3 different models). And from what I remember there's KE30 stuff covered in the 1200 manual (even though it's got a KE25 on the cover). The Gregorys only specifically mentions early and late KE55 models, with the 4K.

And SE models were made all the way up until the end of the KE55, my KE55 was an '81 SE, damn I miss that thing. It doesn't appear in Redbook though, at least not in manual form, which I find strange (then again, Redbook isn't the most accurate thing at times either).