Where Is The Radiator Drain Plug On Coralla 1992 Seca?

brownie74

Hi,

I've been trying to change the coolant on my Toyota Corolla 1992 (seca) but I can't find the plug to drain the radiator.

If someone could tell me where it is, it would be a great help.

My manual is absolutely useless. I can't see the plug anywhere. I've been under the car, in the bonnet for an hour. No luck.

Cheers,

brownie

Members dont see this ad
Hi,

I've been trying to change the coolant on my Toyota Corolla 1992 (seca) but I can't find the plug to drain the radiator.

If someone could tell me where it is, it would be a great help.

My manual is absolutely useless. I can't see the plug anywhere. I've been under the car, in the bonnet for an hour. No luck.

Cheers,

brownie

i don't think it has 1 just undo the bottom pipe and let it drain out from there

i'll give it a go

to be honest, i don't remember seeing any pipes that were easily accessible either

i will go and check now

cheers

Jack front of car up

Look for a short pipe (like the size and length of your thumb) coming out from the bottom tank of the radiator (pointing towards the engine block) with a tap fitting (like one of those 10L water jug thingies) on the end, and possibly a drain tube underneath it. You may need to move a splashguard to see it.

If you fail to find that (or there isn't one), just undo the bottom radiator hose (you can't miss it, it's a big fat f*ckoff black hose coming from the bottom of the radiator. Either works fine, just remember to have a bucket or something underneath to catch the fluid, and make sure the car is cold when you do it otherwise you'll burn yourself.

Jack front of car up

Look for a short pipe (like the size and length of your thumb) coming out from the bottom tank of the radiator (pointing towards the engine block) with a tap fitting (like one of those 10L water jug thingies) on the end, and possibly a drain tube underneath it. You may need to move a splashguard to see it.

If you fail to find that (or there isn't one), just undo the bottom radiator hose (you can't miss it, it's a big fat f*ckoff black hose coming from the bottom of the radiator. Either works fine, just remember to have a bucket or something underneath to catch the fluid, and make sure the car is cold when you do it otherwise you'll burn yourself.

Thanks for the tips. I found a hose coming from the top of the radiator going to the engine block. I disconnected it. Some fluid came out of the radiator, loads came out of the engine block (about a litre i reckon). Have i done the right hose?

Thanks for the tips. I found a hose coming from the top of the radiator going to the engine block. I disconnected it. Some fluid came out of the radiator, loads came out of the engine block (about a litre i reckon). Have i done the right hose?

If the hose comes out of the top of the radiator, it won't drain the radiator will it? Remember which way gravity works? Look on the BOTTOM of the radiator.

And for a full drain you should be expecting somewhere in the vicinity of 5L of liquid (if you drain the block from the block drain tap, which is usually on the block just to the left of the oil filter)

If the hose comes out of the top of the radiator, it won't drain the radiator will it? Remember which way gravity works? Look on the BOTTOM of the radiator.

And for a full drain you should be expecting somewhere in the vicinity of 5L of liquid (if you drain the block from the block drain tap, which is usually on the block just to the left of the oil filter)

Good tips there Hiro!!

make sure u do do a FULL engine and Radiator flush with clean fresh water (don't just drain it) other wise unless the new coolant is the same as the old stuff this whole thing will be a waste as the new and old coolant will react with each other and there fore not work!!

I will have another look. What i'm actually trying to achieve is to stop the engine overheating which happens almost every time i drive the car. Seems to be ok when i'm moving but if i get stuck in traffic it soon overheats. Been happening for a year - and topping up the radiator makes it go away - but in the last month seems to have gotten worse.

I will have another look. What i'm actually trying to achieve is to stop the engine overheating which happens almost every time i drive the car. Seems to be ok when i'm moving but if i get stuck in traffic it soon overheats. Been happening for a year - and topping up the radiator makes it go away - but in the last month seems to have gotten worse.

If you have to continually top up the radiator, it means one of two things.

1) You have a coolant leak somewhere. Look for puddles under the car

2) You have blown a head-gasket. Does the car blow white smoke more than usual? Is the oil milky or are there lots of bubbles running through the top of the radiator when the engine is running?

If you have to continually top up the radiator, it means one of two things.

1) You have a coolant leak somewhere. Look for puddles under the car

2) You have blown a head-gasket. Does the car blow white smoke more than usual? Is the oil milky or are there lots of bubbles running through the top of the radiator when the engine is running?

I'm afraid it does blow white smoke when the temperature gauge gets towards max. Seems to be happening more often lately.

Is it a big expensive job to replace a blown head gasket? Car is till drivable if i keep topping up the coolant.

I'm afraid it does blow white smoke when the temperature gauge gets towards max. Seems to be happening more often lately.

Is it a big expensive job to replace a blown head gasket? Car is till drivable if i keep topping up the coolant.

yeh it'll be prtty expensive... depends who does it 2... because some people charge more than others