What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad

WGMG: gearbox bearings shit itself so i bought one second hand and asked the seller numerous time if it had any bearing whine and he said no except for that 4th is a bit iffy, i said that i could live with 4th being shit as long as it doesnt whine and he said it was all good.. bought the box about a month ago havnt had a chance to put it in until today, got a local workshop to do it as i don't have access to a hoist so it cost me $350 to do the changeover because i supplied everything and used castrol multitrax which is a decent gearbox oil.. after the changeover gets done i drive it and 20 seconds later the same bearing whine seriously, WTF i don't have money to just throw at shit that doesnt work especially when someone lies to your face, grrrrr its so frustrating.. i hate my car nothing ever seems to turn out as planned..

considered its not the box?

considered its not the box?

I just don't know what it could be otherwise, it made a similar noise before i put the new box in and when i put this new box in i used brand new ARP flywheel bolts, thrust bearing, clutch and got the flywheel machined in an attempt to eliminate the problem.. I didnt get the spigot replaced even though i supplied him with one because he said the one in there was in really good condition anyway because my motor was only rebuilt about 10,000-15,000km ago.. I can't replicate the noise when the car is not in gear and free revving, it will only make the noise when the car is in gear and under moderate to hard acceleration or high RPM and when it makes the noise it sounds like its coming from next to me (the gearbox).. The noise is a really really loud screaming/screeching noise and only occurs under the conditions as i mentioned before and its driving me absolutely crazy.. Aggggghhhhh!!!

Edited by RX-747

Drive shaft bearing?

I am actually highly considering this as the problem now because it does only happen when the driveline is under load, it wont happen under light load for example light acceleration but under hard acceleration it will squeal/scream and it will only make the noise at high rpm so it has got me thinking about the drive shaft.. ill check it out later today

and your positive its not diff whine?

does it also make the noise on overrun?

I don't think its the diff as it sounds like its directly next to me and no it doesnt happen on overrun it only happens during moderate to hard acceleration and at highish rpm..

all i can say though is the noise is loud as anything, if i overtake a tram or car you can hear squealing/screaming noise echoing loudly off it..